Thursday, January 29, 2009

For Grading : Reunion Dinner

A couple of days ago, I had a reunion dinner with my maternal relatives. Marking the eve of the noisy and long awaited Chinese New Year, it sure was an awesome day for me.

Not wasting any time, I shall share the juicy details about the food that we savoured.

First up, as usual, was the "Yu Sheng" It mainly comprises of thinly grated carrots, melon peel, radish, pickled ginger, dried orange peel, crispy crackers and salmon. The list goes on and on... There is a belief which is passed on that the higher you toss it (this is the only time I get to play with food) , the more fortune and luck that you will have in the New Year. Not being a professional at tossing food ( I'm better at throwing(: ), I simply 'lifted' the "Yu Sheng" as high as I could. Other relatives who were rather experienced managed to fling the 'Yu Sheng" to an unbelievable height, and we all ended up in fits of laughter after pieces of carrots and crackers flew everywhere.



( Yum Yum! I can hear your stomach growl! =D )


Next up were the dishes that my Grandmother had cooked. They were rather common, those that were eaten everyday such as Curry Chicken, Roasted pork, Abacus Rings (Hakka Dish) and some fishballs that were so succulent that the juice would ooze out of it after a tiny bite! Imagine my joy in having a simple yet traditional reunion dinner with my loved ones, and sharing every precious moment with everyone.

Now's the time when I introduce you to something that you have not tried before, I bet. Presenting...



Yes, you pronounced it right. It's something like Hoe - garden. Basically, it's some kind of Belgian beer which contains high levels of malt. So far, I am unsuccessful in translating the words on the bottle which are alien to me. I will certainly take this a step further and try my best to decipher the meaning of those words!



( Cheeeers! )


It was a rather weird experience for me as I had never tasted beer before. ( That's the truth! ) Particularly due to that fact that it was white beer, there was a tinge of bitterness upon sipping the beer slowly like an amateur. However, I am not sure whether beers such as Tiger Beer or Heineken have the same bitter taste in it. When I grow up, I shall acquire the taste of beer, I vow.

I was especially delirious as it was only once in a year that all my relatives would gather round the dinner table and enjoy a time of dining and catching up with each other. After all, blood is thicker than water!

For the last course of the dinner, we had mango sago. Seizing this opportunity to show off her culinary skills, my mother specially scouted for this unique recipe. After some modifications, my mother finally came up with the creamy dessert. The right creamy texture and spongy transparent sago pearls simply rolled down my throat. Yum! Yum!

After a family photo, we bade our guests goodbye. To summarize the day, it was an exciting day where I could get together with my relatives, know them better and even more about their personalities which were really unique and mysterious at times. Money won't make the world go round, love does. That's why we bond so well as a family! After all, which would you prefer, a family to love or money?



No comments:

Post a Comment